Sunday, January 1, 2012

v2012.365

2011 was an unending shitshow of hassles, disappointments, and minor disasters. I hope that 2012 brings happier days, but either way, I'm going to write about it.

I've realized that I tend to tune out of the details of my life when everything seems fine, until suddenly it's not fine anymore, and I discover that I'm lost and I don't know how I got there. I also know that I find my days more interesting and funny when I'm actually paying attention. Maybe that seems pretty obvious, but it's starting to dawn on me how little attention I think I've been paying, and it's scary.

So today I begin my 365 project. Each day of 2012, I will take at least one photo--which shouldn't be hard, given the 4,024 photos that I've taken in the last 11 months--AND I'll also post the photo and write a blog post. I've been telling myself for years that I need to write more, and somehow I never do. I have some time on my hands since I recently lost my job, and I desperately need to find some shades of me that I lost somewhere along the way, so I hope my project will inspire me to reimagine my present and my future.

I built a fire in my fireplace for the first time tonight. It was beautiful for about 5 minutes, until all of the kindling burned up and the wet firewood I'd just purchased burped out a bunch of smoke and fizzled out. Tomorrow, I will try again.

1 comment:

Mrs. Swandog said...

I will enjoy reading your blog!